Saturday, October 24, 2009

Food Poetry Friday (OK, it's Saturday): October Berries

Here is my first poetry post for the new Food Poetry Friday. I know, I know, it's late on Saturday. Technical difficulties delayed my poetry post. That and the fact that I tried to write a Turkey poem. Let's just say I didn't want to gobble gobble it up when I read it. It was about as stinky as that pun.

So here is a poem I wrote last October. Please feel free to post your own food poems in the comments, or perhaps your October berry stories...


October Berries

by Julie Reinhardt


August is the time to find
Juicy berries on the vine
Until your mouth is purple and
You’ve red stained fingers on each hand


But now it is October, yet
I hunt for berries, cold and wet
I pick as if they were like gold
These left behind, fruit not sold


For though they are not plump and sweet
As August berries that I eat
October berries are the last
Until next August comes to pass

7 comments:

  1. I love this idea. It will give me some fun writing to work on during lunch breaks. Thanks, Julie! Hope to see you right here, next Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you can write a poem about your lunch, on your lunch break! See you next week. J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Holly! I wanted a way to connect my writing community with my barbecue community. I thought there could be some interesting cross connections. This seemed like the best way to make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My one and only published poem is about food.

    Shiny apples, good to eat,
    green is tart and red is sweet.

    Bananas come in yellow skin,
    soft and squishy fruit within.

    Ladybug magazine for children paid me $25 -- more than one dollar per word! Actually, I had two more verses, about peaches and pears, but they only bought the first half of the poem. That was the peak of my poetry career.

    Chris Eboch
    Haunted: The Ghost on the Stairs and the Riverboat Phantom
    Read the first chapters for free on my web site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm . . I have a poem about fruit, too. . . .

    The Pear

    It was a
    spectacular Pear–
    it lit up the night.
    It was all
    he could do
    to not take a bite.

    But a bite
    he took and
    he was smitten
    By the beauty
    and the taste
    of the Pear he'd bitten.

    It danced on
    his tongue.
    It dazzled his eye.
    Delighted his heart.
    Warmed his inside.

    And he bit
    and he savored
    that Spectacular Pear
    again and
    again till
    the Pear wasn't there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys are amazing! Chris - I want to hear the last two stanzas, and Kevan - I want that pear!

    ReplyDelete