This simple recipe can be made in 10 minutes, 20 if you want to relax and drink a crisp glass of Pinot Grigio while you make it.
1. Clean and remove veins from 1 pound of prawns (16/20 size prawns work nicely). Make a cut down back so that the shell stays on, but will come off easily after grilling.
2. Toss in mixture of 1 tsp coriander, 1 tsp paprika, juice from one fresh lime, fresh cracked pepper and a 1/2 tsp of kosher salt. Let sit while you prep the rest of the salad.
3. Chop fresh pea pods, red onion, carrots, romaine lettuce and red pepper. Chop majority of stems off one small bunch of cilantro, then wash thoroughly, shake dry, and dry further on a paper towel.
4. Make dressing:
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup sweet Thai chili sauce (I like the Mae Ploy brand)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 dashes salt
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
5. Skewer 4-5 prawns on soaked bamboo or metal skewers.
6. Make fire or preheat gas grill to medium high. Grill prawns about 3 minutes each side, or until they turn pink.
7. Toss salad in dressing. "Unwrap" prawns from shells and legs and lay skewer on top of salad (or remove from skewer but leave in a row for presentation).