Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fall Grill: Pork Chops with Grilled Apples


I love the crisp days of fall. Something about the air fills me with creativity. I write like crazy, I start new projects, I organize the house.

Case in point: I've been to the (damn!) Ikea stronghold three times this month. We have bins for everything now. I'm driving Eric crazy with my, "You put the Brachiosaurus in the hot wheel bin! He goes with the assorted animals. We also a new king size bed (because we are cry-it-out wimps and we have yet to keep El in her crib for a whole night). And new sheets. And a strange little handheld device that bubbles your milk that I would use if it didn't take some strange little Swedish batteries.

At any rate, I've never understood the frenzy over spring. Spring cleaning, spring renewal. For me, it's all about fall.

All that creativity pouring out of me (and the frustration of putting together Ikea bins) makes me hungry.
Pork chops on the grill are easy, delicious, and perfect for the hungry days of fall. Pair it with some grilled apple rings and you have a bit of bliss on a fork.

RECIPE
Rub the chops in olive oil, garlic, chopped sage and thyme, kosher salt and black pepper. Let them sit while making a medium-hot fire. If your chops are extra thick make sure to leave some "indirect space" on the grill. Cook the chops for 5-10 minutes on both sides, then move over to cook indirectly, with the lid down. This way they don't turn into hockey pucks on the outside while they cook thoroughly on the inside.

Core the apple, slice into thick rings. Rub a little canola oil - not too much - and grill directly.

Serve with some hearty greens or other root vegetable. Wash it down with a nice Gewurztraminer wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment