KCBS roll call - it'll make you smile. The Fatty is no different. It's a standard smoked sausage roll that, I suppose if you've guzzled enough tall boy PBR's, looks like a giant spliff on the grill.
Whatever the name, they are tasty. In looking through recipes from the past two years, I noticed I've been remiss in devoting a diversion for this dish delish.
The concept is simple: Make a sausage roll, wrap it in bacon, sprinkle some rub on it and smoke it. Whether you stuff it with something, what you mix in with your sausage, and what rub you choose generates endless variations, and where the creator can make her mark.
Stuffed Italian Fatty Recipe
1 lb mild Italian sausage, uncased (if using plain sausage, herb it up with some dried oregano, basil & rosemary).
3 oz Queso Fresco (may substitute grated mozzarella)
4 Tbs. tomato sauce
10-14 slices good quality bacon (regular thickness)
Rub of your choice (I made one of paprika, black pepper, ground red pepper, garlic salt, dried basil)
Wax paper or plastic wrap
1) On a flat surface or flat edged cookie sheet, lay a sheet of plastic wrap or wax paper.
3) Down center crumble the Queso and spoon a strip of tomato sauce.
4) Roll both sides into the center and smooth sausage together. Pinch ends closed. Set aside on plastic or wax paper.
5) Using another sheet of plastic or wax paper, lay out 4-6 strips of bacon in a row, touching. Weave 4-6 strips in a lattice like you would a pie.
7) Sprinkle with rub of your choice.
Let it rest for at least 5 minutes. Slice and serve as a meal or as a tasty appetizer. Excellent cold or reheated the next day.