Friday, October 24, 2014

Smoked Country Style "Ribs" on a Gas Grill

Those meaty but boneless "Country-style ribs" they sell in the grocery store may not be ribs, but they are tasty. 

They are also tough as shoe leather unless you cook them right. That's because the meat is cut from the same section we make pulled pork out of - the shoulder. That requires some slow and low cooking to tender up those tendons.

If you only cook with gas, have no fear. We can make those meaty strips tender and delicious, and even smoky using the equipment you have.

Amateurs put too much emphasis on the equipment. I can make great freakin' barbecue with some sticks and a dirt hole, people, so don't let anyone say you can't do this or can't do that just because you don't have a three thousand dollar smoker/grill system. Those are the same people that say their sauce is a secret recipe, or that give you their ten ingredient rub recipe. Pfft! I say. Unnecessary fuss.

They'd probably turn their nose up on country-style ribs too, those naysayers, but I'm here to tell you, them meaty rib shaped meat strips is some tasty dinner. Easy too.

Yeah, I know. I'm from Seattle, and North Seattle at that where we militant hippies chat about things like urban chicken coops and compostable hemp stationary. So that Billy Bob Kentucky back woods bit was totally fake, but not untrue. Eh-huh.

How about instead of me blathering in assorted accents (I say, rawther get on with it!), I just give y'all the recipe, huh? Read the full post here! You can thank me later.

4 comments:

  1. LMAO at your "militant hippies" and "compostable hemp stationary".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for sharing that technique. It helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the receipt! We'll have to give this one a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie,

    Awesome article, I love the fact your are proving you can still achieve amazing smoked flavour even on a gas grill!!

    I have found a lot of info on a site called http://propanesmokerreviews.com also similar to your article

    Cheers

    Pete

    ReplyDelete