Friday, April 4, 2014

Out of the mouths of babes

I found this in my post drafts list today. I'm notorious for starting blog posts and not ever publishing them. I think there are about 35 currently in draft status. This one, though, made me giggle, because it's from years ago when my son was about five. Now my daughter is five and is cracking me up daily, so it's back to being a current post.

Like last weekend. after boozing it up with the preschool moms, my daughter asked if I'd had a lot of chocolate and salad. Yep, salad. Way too much salad, because that's what mom's eat.

Well, she was right about the chocolate. I'll give that to her.

Here's a precious conversation from my son. Note how easily he kills off dad and puts mom in a coma. He loves a good plot, that one. Wants to be author when he grows up.

"Mom, let's pretend I'm an adult, and you are my best friend, and we're going to get married soon."

"OK, honey. So...what do you do for work?"

"I run the restaurant."

"Really? Do you like it?"

"Yeah, it's great, except...well my dad died and my mom's been in the hospital for 16 years."

"16 years! And can't daddy just be retired?"

"Mom. You're not playing it right."

Classic. As a co-op parent I get to enjoy not only the awesome things that come out of my kids' mouths, but of 18 other kids too. They all are these incredible beings: aware and smart enough to make jokes and understand what is going on, yet it's like they are on some groovy trip where reality and imagination are completely woven together. I wish we didn't lose that. Didn't pull apart and separate those threads.

If you are a parent, I know you wish there was a way to write down what your kids say on a consistent basis. I started a just for me twitter account to write down my son's hilarious stuff, but of course I don't catch even a fraction of what comes out of that mouth, or update it often. By child #2 it's not even a concept to tweet the cool things she says.

What do you do? I'd love to hear if anyone has a good system or habit of writing down the wisdom out of the mouths of babes.

No comments:

Post a Comment