Friday, March 25, 2011

Poetry Friday: Shel Silverstein's "Merry"

I ran across this poem today while reading to my daughter. I tend to skip around while reading my favorite Shel Silverstein book, Where The Sidewalk Ends, so the fact that I read it on March 25 was pure synchronicity. I posted too late to participate in the regular Poetry Friday round up, but if you like writing, reading, and/or discussing poetry, there are folks from all over the country that post about poetry every Friday. One blogger will host and give the list of all the blog posts that day. I join in from time to time. To find out who is hosting, and what it is about, just google it.

"Merry" by Shel Silverstein in Where The Sidewalk Ends

No one's hangin' stockin's up,
No one's bakin' pie,
No one's lookin' up to see
A new star in the sky.
No one's talkin' brotherhood,
No one's givin' gifts,
And no one loves a Christmas tree
On March the twenty-fifth.

I love this poem, especially because Christmas around our house tends to be a source of friction. My husband is not a fan of the holiday, nor of the the murdering of trees, as he calls it (he gets the ironic hypocracy that he owns a barbecue restaurant).

I think March the twenty-fifth is a perfect day to talk brotherhood. We need it. There is a lot of sh-t going on in the world right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment